Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Printing plates...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

As I write this there is an action going on at Stacks in which there are numerous printing plates, including a couple of obsolete currency plates (one for a whole sheet of $5 and !0 notes from the Bank of Washtenaw). I didn't pick any of those up, but I did snag this plate:

Attachments:
File comment: Tennessee, Chattanooga. The First National Bank. Charter: 1606.

Steel. 10.5 x 4 inches. Light steel gray with mild champagne overtones. Numerous fine stress fractures are seen throughout the plate, mostly on the back side of the plate, but with a rippling effect seen on the face where the breaks have not passed through to the face, but have affected its strength. A nice header for a certificate, with bold titles and a lovely locomotive vignette at center. Apparently cut from a larger plate to save the titles and art as often seen on stock and bond certificates.

Engraved identification number: T-66934.

Numbered S60084 on back.

This bank was formed on October 25, 1865 with a capital of $200,000. The directorship and management was remarkably stable. The institution continued in business until taken down by the Depression and placed into receivership on January 3, 1934.

AN07481630-oz.jpg
AN07481630-oz.jpg [ 70.29 KiB | Viewed 3580 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Printing plates...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:49 pm 

Nice plate Greg. It is also nice and clean. Many have ugly toning.
I liked the train and almost bid on it myself.
I have picked up several vignette plates, transfer rolls, and a 4 note plate. I am preparing an exhibit for Memphis or Ottawa.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, thanks for letting me score this. As you probably know, I've got a soft spot for Tennessee stuff (even when it isn't exactly currency). The vignette was part of what drew me to this... but mostly, I wanted a printing plate for my TN collection.

- Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 am 

Greg,

So now keep your eye out for a proof and an issued stock certificate associated with this plate. Maybe the vignette plate and transfer roll also exist. Of course, now you also have to get a National banknote from the bank. Where else has the vignette been used? The vignette on TN-10-G50 of the Bank of Chattanooga is very similar. See how it snowballs! But isn't it fun!

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

That's already begun. This morning I started poking around the web looking for stock certificates, and in the process found some books about national banks recently scanned by the Harvard Law Library, volume three of which highlights a case involving this bank.

I also found all the Heritage auctions of notes from this bank. None currently available, though, except for a $50 note from a currency dealers web site.

Yes, the snowball is rolling...