Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A Civil War Mash up.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:46 pm 

For a few years I've wanted to put together a presentation piece of Union and Confederate paper money with portraits of George Washington. The Confederacy viewed Washington as a native son of Virginia and celebrated him as a hero as of course did the Union and both used his portrait on their money, bonds, stamps, etc. I thought it would make a wonderful piece so I've been planning on how I could pull it off. The Confederacy issued four banknotes I know of with vignettes of Washington... all very expensive. The Union's issues are equally pricey so what to do??? I stepped outside things I usually collect and put together something fabulous. The Confederacy issued a nice green postage stamp with Washington's bust on it. In unused condition they sell for around $100-$120. The Union issued fractional currency, early issues are called postage currency, to supply small denomination money due to the hoarding of coinage during the war. One of the 1862 issues has the same green color and Washington bust as the Confederate stamp and in uncirculated condition sells for $150-$200. I took the chance on the two pieces working nicely together, purchased them and put them in archival display holders mounting them in a nice currency holder and WOW!! I amaze me sometimes with the crap that I come up with! I found great prices on these and the whole thing cost $130 to put together. It should have cost about $350 but I've learned to hunt this stuff over the past 10 years.
Attachment:
unionconfed1.jpg
unionconfed1.jpg [ 129.48 KiB | Viewed 2798 times ]

Attachment:
unionconfed2.jpg
unionconfed2.jpg [ 107.81 KiB | Viewed 2798 times ]

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A Civil War Mash up.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting connection. It never would have occurred to me.

Post subject: Re: A Civil War Mash up.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:46 pm 

Thanks! I have other war era currency ideas. As they become realities, I'll share them here.