Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:19 am 
Site Admin

I recently acquired this note from a Heritage Tuesday Internet auction. I was particularly taken by the condition of the note, but also by the inscription reading "The United States of North America". I was previously unaware that the Continental Congress ever considered that name for the newly confederated states.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 am 
Site Admin

This is actually the first Continental note I purchased (also from Heritage).

Attachments:
CC8r.jpg
CC8r.jpg [ 272.78 KiB | Viewed 3932 times ]
CC8o.jpg
CC8o.jpg [ 263.51 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:41 am 

I held in my hand for the very first time a Continental Currency note about a year ago. It seemed to "call to me." Quickly I remembered back - probably for the first time in almost 50 years - to a picture of a CC note that I had admired in my high school U.S. History textbook.

Was the note reminding me of my youth or was it telling me that I needed to learn more about its history and its story? I couldn't put the note down.

I brought the note home. Being previously ONLY a Bust Half Dollar collector, I had no books on currency. Thanks to the Web, I was able to locate a Freidberg and an Newman book quickly. At a forum across the street I asked a few questions about CC notes and their history. The more I read and learned, the more I became hooked.

My collecting focus had taken a new turn. I have been adding more and more CC notes to my collection.

A lot has happened to me since that very first CC note called to me from across the VFW Hall where we hold our monthly coin club meetings.

I suppose I should ask why that first CC note I held seemed to "call to me." Then again, do I need to know? Does it really matter?

Enjoy,

Ed R.

(PS: I have many more to show, when you are ready to see them.)

Here are three of my new notes:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Admin

One thing strikes me as ironic in this area. Coins are generally thought to be more enduring than paper. Yet the paper currency from the colonial and revolutionary periods are generally better preserved than coins from the same period, perhaps because they changed hands fewer times and for a shorter period of time. Still, I find it fascinating that little slips of paper that passed through the hands of revolutionary war soldiers can end up in my hands some 230+ years later.

Thanks for sharing those notes, and please feel free to post more at any time.

- Greg