Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm 

Here are the Continental Currency notes of the September 26, 1778 Resolution:

September 26, 1778 $5:

SN: 238605

Signed by J(oseph) Watkins in red ink and Geo(rge) Bright in black ink. The emblem in front shows a hand in a bush bleeding from pricks from the thorns. It has the motto: SUSTINE VEL ABSTINE. Ben Franklin explained this motto to mean “Bear with me, or let me alone; or thus, Either support or leave.” The bush is believed to mean America, the bleeding hand is Britain. The nature print on the back is of two crossed willow leaves.

Friedberg #CC-79

September 26, 1778 $7:

SN: 68051

Signed in red by C. Hernandez and in black by R(ichard) Eyres. The emblem on the front shows a storm at sea with the motto: SERENABIT (It will clear up). The nature print on the back is of a sage and grape leaf. Paper contains blue threads and mica flakes.

Richard Eyres was appointed captain of the armed boat Camden by the Pennsylvania Committe of Safety on 20 September 1775.

Friedberg #CC-80

PMG AU-53

September 26, 1778 $8:

SN: 121509

Signed by R(ichard) Eyres in black ink and (not fully legible) in red ink. The emblem on the front shows a harp with thirteen strings with the motto: MAJORA MINORIBUS CONSONANT (The larger colonies are in harmony with the smaller colonies). The nature print on the back displays three sages.

Richard Eyres was appointed captain of the armed boad Camden by the Pennsylvania Committe of Safety on 20 September 1775.

The nature prints on the reverses of the 1778 issues were changed from the prints that were on the earlier issues in an attempt to twart counterfeiters. In 1779 they were changed again.

Friedberg #CC-81

September 26, 1778 $20:

SN: 86127

Signed by Je(dediah) Snowden in red and N(athaniel) Donnell in black. The emblem on the front shows a strong wind creating waves, with the motto: VI CONCITATAE (It assaults with a violent force). The nature print on the back is of a buttercup.

Friedberg #CC-82

September 26th, 1778 $30:

SN: 252440

Signed by D(aniel) Wister of Philadelphia (1738-1805) in red ink and R(obert) Cather. The emblem in front shows a wreath on a tomb, with the motto: SI RECTE FACIES (If you act righteously). The nature print on the back is of three willow leaves.

Freidberg #CC-83

September 26th, 1778 $30 Counterfeit Detector Note:

Blue Counterfeit Detector Note.

Counterfeit detectors were prepared on blue paper so that they could not be falsely filled-in and used as currency.

They were distributed for the purpose of comparison with suspicious notes to see if the engravings and lettering matched.

Uncertified About New

September 26, 1778 $40:

SN 140734

Signed by J(oseph) Snowden in red ink and R(obert) Cather. The emblem on the front shows the rays of an all seeing eye shining down on what appears to be a sacrificial alter with a flame that is surrounded by thirteen stars, below is the motto: CONFEDERATION. The nature print on the back is of carrot leaves.

Friedberg #CC-84

PMG MS-64

September 26th, 1778 $50:

SN: 243188

Signed by Jno (John) Graff in red ink and Jacob Masoner in black ink: The emblem in front shows a thirteen-stepped pyramid with the motto: PERENNIS (Everlasting). The nature print on the back depicts three arrows.

Friedberg #CC-85

September 26, 1778 $50 Contemporary Counterfeit:

During the Revolutionary War the British tried a new tactic of warfare.

Let me quote Eric Newman in The Early Paper Money of America:

"The British and Tory sponsorship of counterfeiting of Continental Currency and American State issues during the American Revolution introduced a new technique in economic warfare. This was described at the time as 'a fair advantage over the enemy.' Those counterfeits were prepared in both Europe and America and were freely given or sold to those who were will to pass them."

The rag content of the paper included both linen and cotton. To help thwart counterfeiting, blue fibers and specks of mica were also included in the paper.

Quite often the difference between the counterfeit and the real note would only be the position of one letter in relationship to another.

This counterfeit was easy to detect because there are no blue fibers or mica in the paper.

The signers of the counterfeit note were "P Cox" and "Js Ross." Paul Cox and James Ross were two of the officially designated signers of the September 26th, 1778 notes. Therefore their signatures on the counterfeit are forgeries.

September 26th, 1778 $60:

SN: 202469

Signed by Jo[seph] Gardner in red ink and Jno [John] Leacock in brown ink. The emblem on the front shows a celestial orb with the motto from Psalm 97: DEUS REGNAT EXULTET TERRA (God reigns, let the earth rejoice). The nature print on the back is of a bow.

Friedberg #CC-86

September 26th, 1778 $60 Contemporary Counterfeit:

I spotted this note on eBay about 10 months ago in a Power Seller's store. The seller did not identify the note as a counterfeit. He was selling it as the "real McCoy."

I immediately e-mailed the seller to advise him that it was a counterfeit. There was no response. He did not change or correct his eBay listing.

Per the Hobby Protection Act there is no prohibition against saving counterfeits of Early American Paper Money. They may be sold or exchanged on the basis of what they are.

Tired of seeing the note on eBay - I decided to make an offer about 20% below the asking price. I expected a rejection. I received an acceptance.

After I purchased the note I received an e-mail from someone else who had also advised the seller that it was a counterfeit. This person had also turned the seller into eBay. Nothing ever came of it.

Perhaps this is why the seller took my offer. Was he tired of having people tell him is was a counterfeit?

This counterfeit note is of the September 26, 1778 issue. It is a $60 note.

The forged signatures should be the first give away as to it being bogus. Or are they? Signers were given 200 sheets containing up to 12 notes per sheet to sign (2,400 notes). The signers used a quill pen and dipped the pen in a bottle of ink.

I cannot imagine their signatures looking the same on all 2,400 notes. If I had to sit in candle light and sign my name 2,400 times in a row, the first signature I wrote out of 2,400 would be legible. After signing a few hundred notes my signature would probably turn into an "E" followed by a straight line.

What alerted me to this note being a counterfeit were the three subtle differences in the text noted BELOW THE PHOTOS OF THE ENTIRE NOTE.

Here is the note:

Note the position of the "i" in receive to the "i" in mill-:

The bogus note: Image The real note: Image

Note the top of the first "s" in gress:

Note how the base of the "x" in sixty is level with base of the "t":

...AND THIS IS ONE OF ONLY 3 DIFFERENT COUNTERFEITS OF THE $60 NOTE THAT ARE LISTED WITH DIAGNOSTICS IN NEWMAN'S BOOK.

Here's a different counterfeit note that is not listed in Newman's book:

September 26th, 1778 $60 Contemporary Counterfeit:

The note is (certified as genuine) in a PMG ChEF-45 EPQ holder.

This counterfeit note has the same blue fibers and mica flakes that are found in the paper of real currency. The blue fibers and mica were put in the paper to help thwart counterfeiting.

Following the photos of the entire note you will see some comparison and contrasts to a real note.

At the word "receive" notice the position of the upper left curl of the "v" to the stand and dot of the "i" to its left. Also notice the distance between the "v" and the "e".

Notice the crossbar of the "t" in Sixty. Its angle and location is "not right."

In the first use of the word "or" the bottom of the "r" is too low on the bogus note:

In the partial word "cording" the "c" is too high on the bogus note:

On the real CC Note, the outer circle above "EX" in the motto is broken. Compare the two notes:

Profile Send private message