Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Free PDF Writer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

While looking for ways to create a PDF file from the spreadsheets and documents I've bee creating, I came across a free PDF writer that does not insert ads or any bogus overwrites (like "Trial Version") into the output documents. If you've been looking for a similar solution, here's the one I landed on:

Cute PDF Writer
PS to PDF converter

You'll need to download and install both files.

As with most free PDF products, this one works as a pseudo-printer. To create a PDF with this product you run an application, such as Word or Excel), and when you want to create a PDF you "Print" the document and selected the PDF output option instead of the printer. This will create the PDF file in the same folder where the source document resides.

The PDF files created will be rudamentary, but useful as a means of distributing read-only copies of information you want to publish.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Free PDF Writer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:08 am 

The pdf "print" capability is a standard feature on my 2004 version of Office for the Mac. I seem to recall that this was true even for older versions. Also there are no ads, etc.

You can also require a password for reading, copying, etc. the resulting pdf file.

It used to be that the pdf files were significantly smaller than the original, which made it easier to email the smaller files. This does not seem to be true anymore.

I sometimes also use the capability to write out a document as jpg's. This makes a jpg for each page of the file and these usually turn out to be smaller than the original document.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin

The bad thing about that is having to use a MAC. ;)

Just kidding... I know some people who love them. I'm just not one of those people.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 am 

Another one to use is openoffice. Its a full writers suite with word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics and databases. The best part is that it is free and works on multiple operating systems so you don't have to worry if your on a mac or PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Good point, William. Since I have a close working relationship with Microsoft, I tend not to delve too deeply in open source projects, but I do recognize there are some fine products out there.