Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Admin

Last night I began scanning in the Obsoletes section of the November 25 1996 auction held by Spink. Unlike most auctions of obsolete material, this auction seemed to give little special attention to proof notes, which were generally mixed in with counterfeits, altered notes, issued notes and other material, sometimes in lots of up to 90 items in one lot. It's a real challenge finding out which lots include proofs, and a deeper challenge to figure out which specific notes in the lots are the proofs. Here's an example of an indecipherable lot:
Quote:
• 136 Mobile, a group of scrip notes (39) comprising City of Mobile, 10, 25, 25, 50-Cents, Mobile Savings Bank issues,S, 10, 50-Cents, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3-Dollars, Auditor's Office, 20-Dollars, Deposit Savings Association of Mobile, 1, 2, 5-Dollars, Asa Holt, 25, 25, 25, 50-Cents, and Mechanics' Aid Association, 1, 2, 3, 5-Dollars, three of each, with an extra 2- Dollars, mostly different varieties, a few rarities and proofs included, most are very good to very fine (39) (lot) $700-1,000

In any case, I will eventually have the complete text of the obsolete section of this auction available for review, and will have what information I can extract from the listings integrated into the All_Lots spreadsheet.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 pm 

If it's any consolation, the remaining WRHS holding listings (they held onto their Ohio collection) also do not specify proof vs. circulating. I've been able to use educated guesses for my own records, but at some point I'll have to make the 3-hour trip to see for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Attached is a rough draft of the Obsoletes sections of this auction. I've spent three hours doing coarse corrections of the output of the OCR, and the result is MUCH more readable than the original output. It's not perfect (and probably never will be), but might be interesting to those that don't have the catalogue.

- Greg

Attachments:
Spink19961125.doc [499.5 KiB]
Downloaded 1100 times