Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Four dollar notes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Bernie wrote:
I think that it is a little dangerous to use the HA archives for this purpose since the distribution of surviving notes (and subsequently auctioned by HA) does not have to resemble the distribution of issued notes.

I quite agree, but at the moment I don't have many other data sources. One thing to bear in mind, unless we can get actual production numbers for the notes from a definitive source as well as the destruction numbers from the redemptions processes, the anecdotal information of sources like Heritage go as far as any other data source to indicate the availability of specific notes or denominations.

Bernie wrote:
Since I have already gone through about 30% of Haxby, I might just do the rest, unless of course you are interested in helping.

I'd love to be able to help, but I don't own a set of Haxby volumes yet. I'm hard pressed to spend a grand on books, and wish that Krause would either reprint them and sell the sets again, sell the rights to another printer, or release them into the public domain.

Bernie wrote:
Would Great Britain have taken this paper bond or more likely required hard currency?

Everything I've read about the Revolutionary War and the Civil War indicates that the reason we had hard (metallic) currency shortages here in the states is because we used the metallic money to pay foreign companies and governments for war supplies. Now certainly is is a gross over-simplification, but it shows the preference the foreign entities had for "real" money, though I'm sure they took their fair share of promissory notes too.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 pm 

Greg,

Yes HA would give decent information on present availability of notes. However, I was more interested in how many different-face banknotes were issued in the $4 denomination. This can be determined with Haxby’s catalog. Since you do not have one, I will search the other states also. The price seems to have jumped to near $800. I remember paying about $120. I had heard that he was working on a new edition?

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 pm 

Greg,

I suspect that you are aware of Roger Durand’s book “About Denominations”. He states that North Carolina was the most prolific issuer of $4 notes and that there were over 60 different issuers.

In his preface, he also says that “many odd denominations were created because of the ethnic background of the merchants who dealt with people of their ancestry.” The reason seems to be that they brought significant amounts of hard currency from their home countries. This then probably required small denomination scrip to make change. This probably is NOT related to the $4 notes?

Bernie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm 

Here is a $4 note available on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=011