Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My favorite type-proofs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:13 am 

These are all orginal India paper proofs.I love deep impressions and wonderful details that show up on this type of note.A few of my favorites.
banknote

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Gorgeous stuff. I don't have any proofs in my collection yet, but you've done a good sales job. I may have to have some soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:09 am 

I started with the idea to add one or two to my collection.They impressed me so much with thier beautiful engraving work that I have couldn't stop collecting them.I now have twelve and will be adding more in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

I did a little poking around today, looking for issued examples of the notes you posted as proofs. A quick run through the Heritage and Knight auction archives yieled no hits. I did find other proofs of those notes, but no issued examples.

If you wonder why I went looking, one thing I noticed was that some of the Bank of Knoxville notes that were actually issued looked different than their proofs. Some had different ink colors... all had different over prints. Anyway, I wanted to see if the same held true for the proofs you posted. At least for now it remains a mystery.

- Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:22 am 

I only have volume 2 of Haxby and in it lists the Missouri notes as SENC (Surving Examples Not Confirmed).I don't know for sure about the other notes.The engraving companies did make more than one sample type of proofs.Some with different color or overprints and sometimes different vignettes.It's not surprising to see the final circulated notes different than proofs.Here is an example the first one I own the second one I wish I did but the dealer is asking of over 6 grand for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Admin

banknote wrote:
I only have volume 2 of Haxby and in it lists the Missouri notes as SENC (Surving Examples Not Confirmed).I don't know for sure about the other notes.

Ah yes, that would explain it.

banknote wrote:
The engraving companies did make more than one sample type of proofs.

Yes, I have noticed that, especially among Bank of Knoxville notes. The ones that Garland lists as R15 show up in a number of places as proofs. At first I was a bit leary about that. Struck me as fairly odd that so many proofs would be needed to sell a particular note type to a bank. Mind you, I would not expect proofs to be unique... just very rare (say, R13 - 14 rare).

- Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:22 pm 

banknote,

What an impressive collect of notes. I just started to collect Proofs
within the last year and I'm hooked. The $10 Russellville Note I bought
on ebay and had to return it do to a repair not disclosed to me. :cry:
A beautiful note though!

The $6,000 Missouri Note make me wonder...... what was the most paid for an Obsolete Note!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 am 

Thanks for the nice comments.I note sure what the record for an obsolete was.I do no that a couple of Santa Claus notes sold for record prices in the March 28-29 2006 Smythe's auction.One for $24,150 and one at $26,450.Not bad for an obsolete!

Here is a few more proofs that I own.You got to love this type of note.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 am 
Site Admin

That last one really amuses me... "Will pay ONE DOLLAR to Bearer on demand at their Office in Charleston Charleston". Obviously didn't pass through the Department of Redundancy Department. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:55 pm 

Quote:
Obviously didn't pass through the Department of Redundancy Department.

Well not really.This state owned bank had three branch banks according to Austin Sheheen Abbeville,Camden and Charleston.The parent bank was also located at Charleston.According to Haxby" if a bank had branches,each branch usually issued its own notes,payable(redeemable for coin) at that branch.The notes would thus bear two city names:the city of the parent bank(always engraved) and the city of the issuing branch(usually written in,but somethimes engraved)".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:33 am 

Quote:
The $6,000 Missouri Note make me wonder...... what was the most paid for an Obsolete Note!

I think that would be the Clark and Grueber $5 Colorado note. I think that there was one in Schingoethe and another in Ford. One of them brought around $70-80,000.

The unique Miners Bank of SF California sheet that brought $20,000+ at the original Christies 1990 ABN Co auction recently resold somewhere around $60,000.

A first issue Bank of North America (1782) genuine note (only one I've seen) from Ford brought around $30-40,000 a few years ago.

The blue Missouri proof was known only from a single sheet of four that sold for $10,000 over 20 years ago, a tremendous price. I think that three more blue sheets (12 notes) turned up in the Christies 1990 auction. Two or three other colors of the same design were also sold, now rarer than the blue ones, including a two color orange and blue sheet. The blue $10 probably isn't worth $6000 as I believe that there are now 16 known. I sold the below pictured proof on eBay two years ago, as part of a collection of 200+ proofs. It brought $825, probably a great bargain.

Attachments:
pf78.jpg
pf78.jpg [ 65.51 KiB | Viewed 6843 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:00 am 
Site Admin

I finally broke down and added another proof to my collection. I haven't received it yet, but here's the image of what I bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:49 pm 

Nice looking proof Greg.

banknote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm 

Sure is a great looking note Greg! Have to love those Proofs!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks!

I received my BoK proof today and examined it under magnification. I was surprised to discover a very early example of microprinting at the bottom edge of the vignette. I did some high resolution scans (2400 DPI, which yielded two files at 1.3MB apiece). If you want to examine them, click on the links below:

Left side of microprinting

Right side of microprinting