Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect you guys are getting bored watching me grow my proof collection one note at a time... but here's the one I sent a payment out for today.

This one, like the $5 proof, has micro-engraving at the bottom edge of the vignette.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I sent in payment for another of my favorite type proofs... this is the one I will soon receive:

Once this is acquired I will go on the hunt for the small denomination ($1, $2, and $3) proofs. So far, all I have seen is the following $1 proof:

When I compared this note side by side with an issued example of the $1 note, I see a lot of differences. Here's the issued example:

Here are the differences I see:
1) The issued note does not have a signature line for the Comptroller in the upper left quadrant.
2) The issued note does not have the assurance line at the bottom stating "Secured by Depositing Bonds of the State in the Comptrollers Office"
3) the issued note has the text "Will Pay One Dollar to the bearer on return of this Certificate of Deposit" instead of the text on the proof "Will pay One Dollar on demand to the bearer".
4) The proof note does not have the red overprint of "ONE"
5) The issued note has only one signature line (Cashier's), whereas the proof note has a line for the President and the Cashier. Apparently this was an error because the president signed the issued note anyway.
6) There's a small difference in the graphics on the left side... particularly the scroll work between the denomination and the image. The proof has bolder leaf work, whereas the issued note has lighter leaves. There's a similar difference in the scroll work above the denomination on the right side.

One last thing... I noticed that unlike other proof notes I've seen, this one has six holes instead of four. I don't understand the significance of that, and find it a bit disturbing. My guess is that the one with six holes was not part of the American Bank Note Co holdings, because I also don't see any evidence of the hot pink ink bleed through we've all become familiar with on ABNco released proof notes.

Anyone see anything else interesting about these proofs?

- Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:20 pm 

Wow Greg, That Knoxville $20 really blows me away!

Email me at Cgb8007@yahoo.com with anything at all you have!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Pickup number one from today's H. R. Harmer auction in Bethel CT. I probably paid too much for this one, but I really wanted it because of the unusual detail and color of the underprint.

Attachments:
NJOrange1.jpg
NJOrange1.jpg [ 257.48 KiB | Viewed 4455 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

This was my third pickup at the auction. This one was particularly interesting to me because it was printed on a full sheet of card stock and shows deep embossing. It went cheaper than the low estimate.

Attachments:
CTOcean310.jpg
CTOcean310.jpg [ 268.6 KiB | Viewed 4453 times ]

Last edited by Greg Davis on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

The fourth pickup at the auction was the one I really would not have wanted to leave without. Like the one before, it is printed on a full sheet of card stock with deep embossing. And like the other one, it went well below the low estimate.

Attachments:
CTocean20100.jpg
CTocean20100.jpg [ 230.17 KiB | Viewed 4453 times ]

Last edited by Greg Davis on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

This is the second pickup at the auction. It was also inexpensive, and very lovely. Printed on India paper, lightly stamped, I just couldn't allow this one to go so cheaply to someone else.

Attachments:
PAPhila20.jpg
PAPhila20.jpg [ 244.53 KiB | Viewed 4457 times ]

Last edited by Greg Davis on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

Finally, I picked this one up as an afterthought. I like it because of the significance to the period and to the banknote industry, even though it isn't a banknote, per se.

Attachments:
LabanHeath.jpg
LabanHeath.jpg [ 233.02 KiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Recent pickups from the Schingoethe collection:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Received today, the last note I bought at the Harmer auction. Looks like the one Banknote posted to start this note, only without the orange overprint. Take a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Today I received the note that I bought from the December 12th 2007 Schingoethe collection sale. Supposedly, this is a Haxby plate note for this type too. I will leave this one in its auction holder for the sake of provenance. Here it is:

Those brown things on the back are hinges, so I suppose this must have been mounted in some album or something. The hinges are attached to a piece of backing paper, not to the note itself... but the backing paper is attached to the note itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

My first pickup from a Stacks auction...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 am 

Greg,

Regarding your Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:00 am post where you compare a proof note to the issued note:

I have been comparing ABNC printing plates, vignette plates, vignette proofs, proofs, etc. to issued notes with the same vignette from different banks. I scan these in at 1200 dpi or above, with some close-ups at 9600 dpi. Yes, I know the files are huge. However, at this resolution you can see every individual stroke of the engraver’s burin. Although full size printing plates don’t fit onto my scanner, they still scan very nicely even if they don’t make full contact with the glass of the scanner.

I then import the images (usually only part of the image because of size) into Powerpoint. I then slide one image over the other and you can see minute differences. You can also make one of the images semi-transparent and overlay two images. I have found some really neat differences that I might talk about in the future.

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds fascinating, Bernie. I'd love to see that presentation, if at all possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:22 pm 

Greg,

The presentation is still a work in progress.
I will try to post some examples soon.

Bernie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next