Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 pm 

Greg Davis wrote:
That suggests even what we recorded from Christie;'s may not be a complete census of the types released by Christie's.

I think that this was certainly expected. There were proofs released pre-Haxby and pre-Christie. It makes sense that some of these would be the same as those in Christie's.

Bernie

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:46 pm 

So, what do you think is amiss with the The Bank of Chattanooga note?

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 am 
Site Admin

Bernie wrote:
So what distinguishes the Bank of Knoxville note from the Christie notes?
How do they know it is pre-Christie?
Might be worth an email to Early American.

I don't think they are asserting this note is pre-Christie's, just that the BoK proof notes were very scare before Chritie's.

Bernie wrote:
I think that this was certainly expected. There were proofs released pre-Haxby and pre-Christie. It makes sense that some of these would be the same as those in Christie's.

I wonder... it still irks me that we know so little about the process by which bank note companies released proofs to banks (even if they did), let alone what happened after that.

Bernie wrote:
So, what do you think is amiss with the The Bank of Chattanooga note?

The signature on the Cashier line.
Attachment:
Chatt.jpg
Chatt.jpg [ 150.87 KiB | Viewed 4518 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 pm 

Are you thinking that a proof should not have signatures?

Haxby mentions that G38 has the vertical cashier's signature "printed" whereas G38a has it handwritten.

So the question is: Are there proofs with "printed" signatures? When were "printed" signatures applied? Would a proof of G38 have the signature but G38a not?

I have seen proofs and certainly remainders where someone has added signatures to try to make them look like issued notes. So has someone added a signature to a G38a proof to try to make it a G38 proof?

Interesting!

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:31 pm 

With respect to the The Bank of Knoxville note. EA quotes "A very rare type prior to the ABN sale. This is the first we have handled in four years. A rare type now ..." I certainly misread the first part. However, do 21 proofs make it rare? I guess knowledge is power (or $$$'s).

Bernie

P.S. Something seems to have changed on your website. I get "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post." unless I am signed in. Unfortunately, I seem to only be able to be signed in for about 30 seconds. The latter is not new.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

My latest from Heritage:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:11 am 

Sure is a beutiful vignette. The face is especially well done.

Branching out into foreign ABNC notes is very dangerous. There are many many proofs out there. Some are very expensive. Champion http://www.championstamp.com has many but his prices are very high. He also concentrates more on Specimens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

This one was cheap enough. ;)

I'm amused... I went to Champion Stamps and downladed the Worldwide Specimen Banknotes catalog... "all prices are in US dollars". All prices are really unlisted... "Call for price". :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:42 pm 

Go here: http://www.championstamp.com/History.htm to see some older catalogs with prices.
He also advertises in the BNR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I picked up another proof in tonight's Heritage auction. Not in perfect condition, but one of only 12 seen at the ABN sale.

- Greg

Attachments:
IL550G2as.jpg
IL550G2as.jpg [ 302.67 KiB | Viewed 4387 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Today I bid on (but did not win) a note from my favorite bank. There were some discrepancies between this note and others in my collection that kept me from believing its authenticity enough to bid higher. Take a look for yourself.
Attachment:
BoK10oddO.jpg
BoK10oddO.jpg [ 15.58 KiB | Viewed 4375 times ]

The obverse looks okay, but the punch out cancellation holes are MUCH larger than on my other Bank of Knoxville proofs.

Attachment:
BoK10oddR.jpg
BoK10oddR.jpg [ 6.15 KiB | Viewed 4376 times ]

And why would they stamp ---1856 on the back of the note... twice? Certainly not the stamp I'm accustomed to seeing on real proof notes.

If you are the new owner of that note, I would very much appreciate hearing from you and understanding whether this is a genuine proof on this bank. High resolution scans would also be appreciated.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Can't believe I never showed this one off... I bought it in Spetember.

Attachments:
OcoeeProof.jpg
OcoeeProof.jpg [ 160.33 KiB | Viewed 4370 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm 

Greg,
I also bid on the $10 Bank of Knoxville note but not too high and I am NOT the winner. I thought you would also compete for it. I also thought that it looked strange. That is, the large POC's look strange although there seem to be real proofs out there with large POC's. I have also never seen the two "----1856" back stamps.

I initially thought that this might be a doctored remainder. However, Haxby lists this note, TN-65-G10a, as a proof. This means he was not aware of either issued or remainder notes. Chrities's list 10 proofs with the red OP and 3 without. They do not mention any strange stamps on the backs. Heritage has a few proofs that all look like the standard ones with regular sized POC's and the usual ABNC stamp on the back. HA also does NOT list any issued or remainder notes. I could not tell whether the Haxby images showed large POC's. Given all of this, it seems probable that this note might be a proof?

I think I requested a better scan but did not receive it. If the winner is here, I would really like a better scan that we could potentially include into a paper we are writing. Also, is the paper India????

Greg, have you seen anything like this one in the Smythe/NASCA auctions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

The auction listings make no mention of verso stamps other than the standard ABN stamp. None make specific mention of oversized POCs. This is part of the reason I continue to believe this to be a fake.

On the other hand, I had considered the possibility that this might be a proof released before the ABN auction and stamped by the collector (for no obvious reason) with the ---1856 stamp. Bit of a stretch, obviously, but unless I could examine the note more closely all I can do is speculate.

- Greg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:36 pm 

I guess we should have bid higher because the only way to tell if this note is a real proof is to see whether it is printed in India paper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next