Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Admin

If anyone is curious, I'm taking something of a break from the project, largely due to the fact that I have tapped out all of the catalogue sources I know about. The last few attempts to get catalogues have been expensive and mostly pointless. For example, I recently spent $107 on catalogues, of which only one-third had obsolete proof listings. One catalogue set me back $20 and hand only a single lot in it I cared about. That I knew the lot was there in the first place was due solely to it being referenced in a subsequent sale.

Anyway, at present what I'm doing is running through the catalogues available from SPMC (the ones not duplicates of catalgues I've already processed, at any rate). As an aside, I'm also sending any duplicate catalogues I have to SPMC's librarian for use by other SPMC members. I still have 20 or so catalgues to send them.

If any of you want some of the duplicate catalogues let me know.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Another refresh containing hundreds of changes, updates, and improvements, plus a few new records from the upcoming Coin Galleries sale.

- Greg

Attachments:
All_Lots.xls [7.19 MiB]
Downloaded 313 times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

FYI... I have begun the process of preparing the spreadsheet for conversion to a database. If I never get that conversion completed, the work I'm doing now will at least allow a few more ways to sort and analyze the data in the spreadsheet. I've added five new columns:

State
City
Bank
Proof Variety
Unique ID

As discussed previously, "Proof Variety" will be used to provide a short-hand reference extender for the Haxby ID denoting specific variations between proofs of that type.

Unique ID will be used to hold a special ID number that allows me to track the progress of a specific note through its various sales. This should help make the census a bit more accurate by allowing me to reduce the instances of multiple counts of a single note.

The other fields should be self explanatory. As an aside, while I am copying the State, City and Bank name to the new fields, I'm leaving the description field as it was before so we can continue to sort that way as well.

The new file is called All_Lots_DB.xls, and a preliminary draft is two posts above. I am still populating the new columns, so don't expect much yet. For the time being, all new updates will appear in that file, and I will not make any effort to replicate the updates to the old file. If you feel the need to have an updated version of the old file, take the new file and delete the new columns.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:54 pm 

I am spending some time trying to analyze some of the data in the AllLots spreadsheet.

I found that the 18 Schingoethe auctions contained about 4500 proof lots and about 5700 total proofs. Given my previous estimate of about 40,000 total proofs, the Schingoethe couple owned about 15% of all proofs out there. Pretty impressive! My percentage is somewhat lower. How about yours?

More later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am 
Site Admin

If you wonder why I've been quiet lately, work has gotten VERY busy the last few weeks. Couple that with the fact that I've been building a new computer for myself. Th computer is now fully functional and the old one decommissioned, so now my work can continue on the project. I'm pretty close to completion of the separation of the primary sort fields from the "blob" of data in the Description field. Once that's done I'll see how easily the data converts to Access format.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 am 
Site Admin

I apologize for going quiet for so long. Lots of excuses, of course. Building two new computers (mine and my wife's), things getting busy at work, travel, playing new games, and so on.

The most accurate reason, however, is that the task of preparing the All_Lots_DB file for conversion to Access is much more time consuming than I imagined. I'm nearly done, however. Here's the status...

State cells are 100% populated
City cells are 100% populated
Bank/Isuuer Name cells are 87% populated

State cells were easy, since the data was already sorting by state and there were only 36 of them to worry about.

City cells were relatively easy because there were not all that many of them to process. Still, it took at least 6 times longer than the state cell population.

Bank/Issuer name is difficult because there are multipe banks in any given city, and I have to contend with the fact that a single bank may have more than one name listed in the descriptions. So this has taken many, many hours. I feel certain I can finish this part of the task soon.

What comes next remains to be seen. One of the things I've considered is splitting out the denomination(s). That work strikes me as nightmarish unless I can figure some way to more effectively sort on that. I'd also like to be able to split out the imprint information, but that's sketchy anyway, since many (perhaps most) listings have no imprint information.

If you want to have a look at the file, it's been updated a few posts above.

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the completed file.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 pm 

Sorry, but I don't see all that much that is different. What am I missing?

By the way, are you keeping up with all the new lots?

Edited to add: I guess the main difference is in the Bank name column?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:51 am 
Site Admin

The last month of work has been about getting the file set up for conversion to the Access DB format. To do that I needed to split the State, City and Bank fields away from the description. I opted to leave them in the description too, so we could continue to use the XLS file the same way we always did.

As for keeping the file current, yes... with the exception of the most recent Stacks catalogue, which I just got last week and haven't had time to process yet. I wanted to finish the conversion before I added another large block of data.

Anyway, I think I'll get some interesting information (and be able to spot some fairly obvious data problems) by simply being able to sort on the bank name field. During the conversion I noticed that there were at least three records that were attributed (by the original cataloguer) to the wrong state. More of that type of problem should be apparent when we look at the data through a different lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:32 am 
Site Admin

I recently upgraded my computer, and with it the software I'm running. The Excel 2007 software offers a new file format (xlsx) that is much more efficient. This is good for me because when the file size of the XLS file crested 8MB it stopped uploading successfully. Attached is the latest version of the new file. If you lok in the New Arrivals tab you'll see I'm working on integrating the content from the Stacks Americana auction.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I finally finished integrating the Stacks lots.

Attachments:
All_Lots_DB.xlsx [3.36 MiB]
Downloaded 278 times

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:22 pm 

I am having trouble reading this file format. Hopefully a converter exists.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:54 am 
Site Admin

Try downloading the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Did the converter solve the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Another update... this one including the 81 proof lots from the upcoming FUN auction as well as the lots from the Dec 9 Stacks auction.

Attachments:
All_Lots_DB.xlsx [3.39 MiB]
Downloaded 282 times

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next