Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:42 am 
Site Admin

The April 1982 sale added anouther 84 lots to the mix. If you'd like to look at the results of processing the two catalogues so far, you can download the NASCAlots.xls file (12 MB).

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:33 pm 

The addition of the images, even at low resolution, to the spreadsheet is nice.
I don’t quite understand why about 80 of these low res images bring the spreadsheet size to 12MB?

Some of the NASCA lots are interesting:
Haxby seems to have known about most.
Some Haxby did not know about and they were by a different printer.
For some Haxby says that the bank was fraudulent.

I also note that many of the DUB&S proofs have very large POC’s.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

The original scans of the images were 300 DPI scans (made as part of the "scan to document" process used to capture the text).. I resized them to be 800 pixels wide, which dropped the effective resolution to about 90 DPI. If I wanted to I could take the resolution down to 20 DPI without loss of resolution at the size they are being displayed, but I wanted the images to be "expandable", so that at will you could stretch the image and get a larger view. Anyway, that's why the images add so much size to the file.

- Greg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

I've just uploaded the latest version of the SmytheLots.xls file. Now with 5100 entries going back to auction 174. Special thanks to Russell Kaye (SELLITSTORE) for the catalogues.

- Greg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:36 pm 

Greg,

As I am creating slides and looking at the HA and Knight upcoming auctions, I am finding a significant number of errors in the spreadsheet. How do you want me to handle these?

How about if I periodically send you a "corrections spreadsheet" that for each correction contains:
1. The row from your latest posted spreadsheet
2. The row as I think it ought to be
3. A blank row between corrections.

This way you can easily double check my corrections and incorporate them into your latest spreadsheet.

You might want to post your latest spreadsheet since the latest one that I am working with is from July 1.

I am open to other suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

At the moment, the main spreadsheet is "idle". I haven't updated it in months, since I've been working on capturing older auction information. If you want to apply your updates directly to the main spreadsheet that would be fine with me. I'll set you up with the ability to upload large files too, if needed.

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm 

The first lot in the Christie's sale in TN is Hiwassee railroad post notes. The $1 and $3 is listed in Garland G-1384 in the back where all the TN railroads are listed. The $5 in the proof sheet is unlisted in Garland. None of them are in Haxby because they are not bank notes. The second item in this lot is from St. Louis MO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:32 pm 

Bernie, Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm wrote:
Attached is the cover from the 1990 Christie's auction. The vignette of the bank note on the cover shows an Indian on horseback with bow and arrow shooting at a buffalo.
I am trying to determine which banknote this is. The vignette looks familiar, however I can't seem to place it.
I still think that the vignette was used on some western obsolete, say Kansas or Nebraska. Haxby does not show this vignette on any NE or KS notes.
Has anyone seen this note or the vignette on another obsolete?

Well I reread Christie's catalog and found an image on page 81 that shows the note that has the partial vignette of the Native American on horseback shooting a buffalo with a bow and arrow. It came from the only Kansas lot in the auction. The note is KS-10-G8a from the Kansas Valley Bank of Atchison, KS. Since it was a unique sheet of 5-3-5-10, there were only 2 proofs in the auction and thus this proof is quite rare. Haxby does list this note as having remainders with a value of $350 in VF and $500 in UNC. Since this was 20 years ago, even the remainder must be quite rare. The Heritage archives do not list either a proof or a remainder.

Haxby also says that this same vignette is on the $5 note from The Bank of the State of Kansas, KS-15-G6a for which he indicates the existence of a proof, although he describes the vignette as have "two horses running."

Mystery solved!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Does anyone have any interest in downloading current versions of the auction catalogue spreadsheets I'm working on? My SmytheLots spreadsheet now has over 5300 entries, and I regularly wonder whether you might want to see some of the latest entries. I am also retaining the scanned documents which includes the pictures, but I have to tell you those document files are not fun to look at. The pictures are fine, as high resolution scans of low resolution images go, but trying to read the text is like trying to decipher a foreign language written by hand. And because the scanner uses 300 DPI to do the Scan-To-Document function, the RTF files produced are HUGE (up to 300MB for about 40 pages of scans). But if anyone wants this type of data I'll try to make it available.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:43 pm 

I would like to see the latest spreadsheet. I will try to look in greater detail at the Buffalo notes to see how we can handle/track all of this information.

Would you lose much information by reducing each page to ~1Mb black and white jpg file? Or does the RTF file allow you to see more of the small print?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not concerned about the loss of detail. The problem is that when using Scan-To-Document mode, it seems to need 300 DPI to do the optical character recognition.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:46 pm 

So does it recognize the imprints on the proofs?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

No, it only recognizes the text of the description. It sees the images as pictures and makes no attempt to recognize mpst of them... and when it does make the attempt it ruins the image.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:08 am 
Site Admin

The latest spreadsheet is available here: SmytheLots.xls.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

I finally finished integrating the entries from the most recent batch of catalogues. It's now up to 5817 entries. I'll upload it when I get a chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next