Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

I was processing one of the NASCA catalogues, when I ran acros something familiar:
Quote:
1850 Rare Reprint Proof Sheets. 2 Pes. (Photo) ($500-Up)
Stonington. OCEAN BANK. $3-$100 and $20-$100. 18XX. Proof sheets by the American Bank Note Co. in green and yellow, respectively, printed directly on card now mounted on a single sheet of cardboard. These sheets are believed to have been reprinted by the ABNCo. in the early 20th Cent. Nevertheless, they are quite rare; only three of the $3-$10 sheet and one of the $20-$100 sheet are known to us.

Attachment:
OceanSheets.jpg
OceanSheets.jpg [ 103.88 KiB | Viewed 4929 times ]

This seems to be the same pair of sheets I bought at the H. R. Harmer auction in CT. These sheets, however, have no obvious mounting marks on the back. As an aside, these wen unsold in the NASCA sale.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Last night I finished processing the All-Lots auction information I've scanned in so far. Here are a few numbers:

6209 rows in the spreadsheet.
1060 rows of New York listings.
179 rows of Tennessee listings.
422 rows of listings that predate Haxby.
509 rows of listings that predate the Christie's sale.
5104 row with Haxby identification.
808 rows with Alternate identification.
2476 rows with some form of "chain of custody" information (many noted as Haxby Plate Note).

I'll keep adding to this file as I keep getting more catalogues to process. In the meantime, I'll do some analysis on the data and try to do some filling in of gaps.

One of the ways I will fill in the gaps is through integrative analysis. For example, if the chain of custody says that a note sold in 2007 refers back to the same note being sold in 1981, I will find the note in the 1981 listing (which will obviously not have a Haxby number) and copy the Haxby identification information into the 1981 listing.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I just added 80 more listings from a 1989 sale I overlooked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Been a while since I updated this topic, so I'll refresh it now.

The All_Lots file has come a LONG way. It now has 7890 rows, and I'm pretty deep into secondary processing on it. At present, I'm drilling into the notes that are not explicitly declared as being part of the ABN sale and checking to see if examples of those notes were seen in the sale. If not, I'm tagging them as Not in the sale. If examples did appear in the sale then I make a note in the Obsolete_Proofs file that the example was seen in some subsequent sale (and note the auction house and sale date for the note). By this method I update both spreadsheets to provide a more comprehensive view of how often the notes have been seen.

Yesterday I contacted an auction catalogue seller (Jeffrey Eger) with my list of referenced catalogues, in the hope that he would be able to provide some. It will probably be pretty costly, but if it enables me to continue the research and deepen it, I'll be happy. In the meantime, the list I published here remains essentially valid, and if anyone has any of the catalogues I am seeking, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

- Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Shouldn't be long now before our first article shows up in print.

As an update, I did hear back from Jeffrey Eger. He had some questions about the list, which I answered. I'm still waiting to hear from him as to which of the catalogues he has available and what he wants for them.

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Admin

For those tracking the progress of the project, I have been taking a break from the work for the last few weeks as I allowed my time to shift to a different project. I'm coming back to this one now, but the progress is painfully slow. I'm processing the nearly 8000 entries of the spreadsheet to get a definitive determination of whether the proofs were likely to have entered the collector community through the ABN archive sale. This involves a side-by-side comparison of two spreadsheets, and a careful analysis of the descriptions for each when a possible match is found. This is slow, tedious and time-consuming work, so I don't expect it to be done any time soon. At present I am working at about row 4450, and progressing at about 100 - 150 rows per hour (depending on how many of them can be easily ruled out as not having been in the ABN sale).

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:12 pm 

Just a heads up -- I got the latest issue of Paper Money and your article is in fact there. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it's at the top of my pile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm 

Our article has appeared. It looks nice.
Fred did not take my suggestion.
I got 5 copies yesterday. Did you get yours?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

No sign of it yet... but I'm not worried.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes I take a shot in the dark. Sometimes it pays off.

A few days ago I went onto Amazon and did my usual search for anything about obsolete notes. This time I turned up a NASCA catalogue from January 30/31, 1978 (The New England Collection). No mention was made of whether any obsolete proofs were listed in the document, but at $12 (plus S+H) I had to have a look. It arrived today, and a quick flip through the catalogue revealed that it does have some.

He shoots... he SCORES!

Yeah, I hate sports metaphors too.

Anyway, I haven't processed the catalogue yet so I don't know how many proofs are there.

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

I just scanned it in... 44 pages have proofs on them... some are full sheets.

- Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I've just finished pulling the text for the proofs from the 1978 NASCA sale. 141 of them. Only 10 of them from New York, but that still beats the pants off the lone proof from TN.

If you're curious, here are the notes from NY:

NY. New York. MECHANICS' AND TRADERS' BANK. $10. A. Proof, by Rawdon, Wright & CO. Une. India paper mounted on Thick Yellow paper with 6 signature block punch holes. ($75-Up)

NY. New York. PHENIX BANK. $5. B. Proof, on original card. Woman and globe, center. Uncirculated, but stained. ($50-Up)

NY. New York. (Unnamed Bank). $1. Proof by Perkins circa 1806-8; on India paper only, no bank indicated as bank name printed in separately. VF-EF, wrinkled. (Photo) ($150-Up)

NY. Bath. STEUBEN COUNTY BANK. $1. A. Proof by Rawdon, Clark & Co, Albany on yellow card. Herdsmen and cattle in oval cents; Baron Von Steuben, right. Unc., soiled with 4 punch holes. ($60-Up)

NY. Elmira. BANK OF CHEMUNG. $1. Proof, by DB&Co on original card. Haying scene, center; canal scene, right. Unc.,4 punch holes ($60-Up)

NY. Morrisania. MORRISANIA BANK. $1. 185. W. L. Ormsby. Proof on original card. The note is Fair because of tears and a piece missing in the right half of this Excessively Rare, undescribed note. (Photo) ($100-Up)

NY. Ogdensburgh. VILLAGE OF OGDENSBURGH. 10¢. Proof, dated Oct. 27, 1862, by ABC. (V-470). Unc., on original card with four punch holes; one with original paper. (Photo) ($75-Up)

NY. Ogdensburgh. VILLAGE OF OGDENSBURGH. 25¢. Proof dated Oct. 24, 1862, by ABC. Similar to the preceding. Unc., on original card with four small punch holes. ($75-Up)

NY. Poughkeepsie. City of POUGHKEEPSIE, per the Farmers & Manufacturers Bank. 10¢. D. Proof, dated July 1, 1862 by ABC. (F-86). Unc. on original card, with 3 punch holes. (Photo) ($75-Up)

NY. Poughkeepsie. City of POUGHKEEPSIE, per the Farmers & Manufacturers Bank. 25¢. A. Proof, as above, Unc., with small obv. stain on original card with 3 punch holes ($70-Up)

- Greg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:45 am 
Site Admin

I just scanned in and processed the May 4-5 1984 Lepczyk catalogue from thr Michigan State Numismatic Society's Annual Spring Convention. There were only three pages of obsolete listings, 16 proof lots, 14 of which were from NY. I uploaded the scanned pages for you to download.

- Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

I'm processing the NASCA catalogues now, and have already captured more than 400 additional lots, some of which are obviously duplicates from one auction to the next. I'm still quarantining the new records for the moment (not adding them to the big collection) because they haven't been through the same level of processing yet. I'll do that once the scanning and transfer steps are complete.

I gotta say, I'm really not looking forward to the task of scanning the John Ford collection auction catalogues. Those things are as big as phone books, and will be unwieldy on a scanner (unless I'm willing to severely damage the spines). Also, they have lots of pages to scan, which means I'll probably have to break the job up into multiple sections. Not going to be a lot of fun, but once the data is all in I'll feel a real sense of accomplishment.

- Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next