Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am 
Site Admin

I just took stock of what I've done so far (inspired by your accounting of the NY section).

Counting the work I did in TN and TX, as well as the states in the front of the catalog, I have currently processed 351 lots from the Christies sale, resulting in 405 rows in the spreadsheet.

Current row tally for each state:
AL - 29
AR - 4
CA - 1
CT - 111
DC - 50
DE - 18
FL - 8
GA - 54 (this is where I'm working now)
HI - 0 (for Republic of Hawaii and Hawaiian Government notes from second sale)
IA - 0
IL - 1
IN - 0
KY - 1
LA - 0
MA - 0
MD - 4
MO - 1
MS - 1
NC - 1
NE - 1
NH - 0
NJ - 1
NY - 2
OH - 2
PA - 8
RI - 3
SC - 0
TN - 96
TX - 6
VA - 2
WI - 0
US - 2 (special category for Bank of the United States notes)

To assess how far we are from completion, I'd add your 329 lots to my 351 for a total of 680 lots. The first sale consisted of 2102 lots, so we are about one third done with the catalog now.

Of course, you've extended your work to include additional sources, and if we factor those sources as being necessary to complete the entire research project then we're much farther from the finish line. But I like to take big jobs and break them into manageable pieces... so I'll stay focused on finishing the first catalog, then adding the Hawaii content from the second catalog, then adding in the other sales, and finally the Haxby's content.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

I've finished GA and IL now, and am currently working the IN section of the catalog, which is the last section in session 1 of the sale. There are now three listings in the NY sheet included in the completed states.

That reminds me, when you encountered "mounted together" items in the NY listings, did you save them or ignore them?

- Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:28 pm 

I put the "mounted together" items from the NY listings into the appropriate states. Take a look at the spreadsheet that I posted. I also put a note in the "note" column that indicates the lot number it came from. This helps mitigate any "miscounting" in the future. That is, if someone checks the Christie catalog and finds that the spreadsheet seems to have an incorrect number of notes from say a NY lot, he will know that it came from somewhere else and he can then verify the number of proofs.

Bernie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks. I have now integrated your content with mine on all states. I'm keeping our NY content separated for the moment, so I can transfer my updates to you as updates, rather than as an integrated block. That way you can continue to make changes on your own without worrying about how you will integrate my changes. I basically lifted your NY worksheet intact, but moved the non-NY content in row-by-row, modifying the content to fit my format (and the extra columns I had in some states, similar to the extra columns you have in NY).

- Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

I found another entry that lists non-G notes. This one is lot 420, which lists IN-300-S5, but declares them genuine despite Haxby referring to them as spurious.

Also found another sheet of NY bank notes "mounted together". This time it was NY-240.

- Greg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:07 pm 

The NY section had quite a few non-G notes. Usually these were listed as spurious in Haxby, but Christie's said that the proofs would indicate Genuine.

Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:57 am 
Site Admin

While reading through the latest issue of Paper Money, I noticed in the letters to the editor that someone made an interesting comment. There was some debate about whether a particular vignette plate was number 123 or 125, and the author stated that the American Bank Note Company records cleared that up and defined which vignette was which, even stating that one of the vignettes was on a particulr $4 note.

My immediate reaction was "Where are those American Bank Note Company records, and how do I get my hands on them?" That seems like the sort of primary information source we need to validate and complete this database project. I'm tempted to write a letter to the editor asking for anyone with information about those records to contact me (or this message board) with information.

What do you think? Can you think of a better/quicker/more effective approach?

- Greg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:23 pm 

I have considered trying to go to these archives and others. However, to do much of anything requires considerable time and becomes rather costly for hotels, etc. I have spent some time at the DC archives (for other reasons) and find the data return very costly in time.

Others have certainly done this. Haxby must have seen the archives/records.

So contacting Haxby, Bob Graham, Bowers, Hessler, etc. might be fruitful.
Stacks, Harmers, etc. would probably also have information.

It would be nice if some of this material were available online.

There is a descendant of the ABNC. I think that this is their website:

http://www.abncompany.com/

Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

I contacted Bowers before beginning this project, asking him if he was aware of this type of information being available directly from ABNco. He suggested that these auction listings were the best way he knew about to collect this type of information.

I also sent an e-mail to the Contact Us link on the new ABNco parent company a few weeks ago. It was polite, professional and brief. They never responded.

- Greg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Admin

I just finished the KY section of the catalog, and will start LA today. While processing the catalog I had to add some worksheets for states that were not listed in the index at the front of the catalog (states that had only 1 - 4 lots listed). The current version of the spreadsheet is attached. Don't assume any states are complete yet, as there may yet be more "mounted together" listings that change any of the numbers in any state already processed.

- Greg

Attachments:
Obsolete Proofs.xls [295.5 KiB]
Downloaded 230 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a preview of the Hawaii results. This could probably be considered complete, but I need to reconcile this against the Harmer auction of October 2007.

- Greg

Attachments:
Hawaii Currency.xls [22.5 KiB]
Downloaded 253 times

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:22 am 

You have probably seen that Heritage has 5 lots of these Hawaiian proofs at auction on April 18th?

Bernie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 am 
Site Admin

No, I was unaware of that. Thanks for pointing it out. The Hawaiian proofs are out of my reach at this time, so I'll watch with bemused interest from afar.

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:12 pm 

Are you aware that for about $15 each you can enjoy some of these Hawaiian notes since the ABNC issued several souvenir cards with nice engravings of these notes.

See eg.,

http://rsb.riche.net/cards/socard.html

http://www.kenbarr.com/so.html

Bernie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that I was aware of... I'm making it a point not to include such things in my collection. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next