Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:52 am 
Site Admin

I've noticed over the last few months that being so deeply involved in reseaech projects the rate of accumulation of new additions for my collection has dropped off dramatically. I've still added a note or two, and I still look at auctions... but the money flowing out has diminished to a trickle.

And I'm no less satisfied with my hobby. :)

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:29 am 

Agreed. My budget recently has been sufficient to get one lot per Schingoethe auction, and that's it. I'm just glad Hugh didn't have any surprises in his last catalog. But I've been doing a massive amount of research, primarily trying to document open/close dates and signatories of the chartered banks in Ohio (pre-State Bank era), but in the meantime have documented three or four previously unknown notes, that have since been passed on to Wendell.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am 

If you become specialized, it really depends highly on what comes onto the market at a particular time. Both Smythe and Heritage had more notes in my specialty last month than I have ever seen before at one time. I had trouble bidding because the auctions were the same week, there was much overlap in the material, and some of the lots were incorrectly described.

I think that collecting is enhanced tremendously by exhibiting which requires research! The combination is what makes it fun for me.

Unfortunately exhibiting is probably much more expensive than it used to be. I say this because in the past you combined going to a show to both obtain new material and to exhibit. Today, the internet has essentially removed the reason to go to a burse to buy. Thus to go to Memphis for a long weekend mainly for the exhibit costs around $1000.

Also, flying with an exhibit is harder than it used to be. I have a steal plate that I wanted to take to an exhibit. TSA said it was up to the individual guard whether or not I could take it in carry-on luggage. How else can I get it there?