Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Found this while working through the Unique Impressions project. The notes on the plate are listed as SENC.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am 

I usually invert (left to right) the plates so that they look like the notes.

So now we can use the plate plus maybe ABNC paper to make a note.

For BABNC paper see:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-AMERICAN-BN ... dZViewItem
So how does one know whether this is real BABNC paper?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin

In an effort to start cataloguing the known plates released into private hands, I'm running through prior Stack's auctions to gather the information. Stacks seems to be the major source, so far as I can see at present. They have a plates session at their major named auctions.

I'm only collecting information on plates that contain full or nearly full impressions of obsolete currency notes. No depression scrip or die vignettes plates will be tracked, nor any of the other plate types released by ABNCo, nor the roller dies. Just currency plates.

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:53 am 

As you know, I started this a while ago.
I am so busy with other things these days, you can certainly take it over if you want.
I am attaching the spreadsheet that I have to date to give you an indication of what information I was going to include.

I pretty much agree with your choice of which plates to include.

Attachments:
ABNCPlates.xls [37.5 KiB]
Downloaded 411 times

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Sounds good. I'll take over for a while and keep you up to date on the progress.

By the way, did you complete the outline for the first article we'll submit to Paper Money? I'm getting a little antsy to get that one sent out.

- Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 pm 

Greg,

Just found this posting.

Regarding the "outline" for the paper. I have about 20 slides done. I think I need about 10 more. Hopefully I will get something to you this weekend. It is taking longer than anticipated. Summer has been busy for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:40 pm 

How is the printing plate project going?

SInce you have been through the Smythe auctions and now the Stacks/ANR auctions could you be on the lookout for an image of a printing plate (preferably 4 notes) that had proof sheets in Christie and also an image of the 4 note proofs. The latter can be an image from any of the auctions or even one that was in Christie. I think it would be interesting to add this to the Powerpoint file.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Admin

No progress since the 18th. I've been taking on other projects... fixing my concrete steps, adding some paint to the house, planning vacations. Long story short, work on the data projects has been on hold for the last few days.

I have made a couple of attempts at starting the rough draft of the article. Not making much progress on that either, so I'm looking forward to seeing your outline.

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Attached is the updated spreadsheet for the plates project. I think this includes everything from Stacks and ANR... but you know how Stacks is... it can be easy to overlook something unless you look at every lot.

- Greg

Attachments:
ABNCPlates.xls [190.5 KiB]
Downloaded 381 times

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:11 pm 

I was surprised that there were only about 90 plates. So owning 1 or 2 is significant, especially if it is in your area of interest. Hopefully, there won't be thousands more coming out. I read some place (probably Bowers book) that many plates were destroyed by the ABNC, especially after they printed some of the "modern proofs".

I remember seeing a few plates at Memphis in the 1990's. So there are probably a few more plates out there.

Any indication of how many plates were near pristine such that they could be used to create more "modern proofs"?

I presume you also captured the images?

I usually put all of the information (lot details, images, price realized, my analysis, etc.) into Word. I also save the higher resolution images to disk. This way I have all of the information should we ever need it for publication or analysis. Just have to get permissions then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

I did not capture the images, but it should be fairly easy to do so, since I did save the date of the auction (making it much easier to locate them again). With only 90 plates listed, gathering the images would be easy. I captured enough of the descriptions to discern if any impairments were described. Most of the plates appeared to be in good condition. I don't recall seeing many that were defaced. Some suffered more aging than others.

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

As an aside, as I'm scanning older catalogues from various auction houses I'll keep my eyes open for more plates.

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:28 pm 

I notice that your first posting in this thread, CT-460, is NOT in the spreadsheet. Where did it come from?