Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 am 

I am surprised that there seems to be very little response to our article in the SPMC journal.

I can't find any response on this board. It was mentioned (for a day or so) on the CU board.

This is disappointing!

The obsolete community must be very small or they are much more interested in issued and remainder notes?

Have you received other input?

I noticed that many CU members are not SPMC members. It might be worthwhile to post a pdf version of the article on this board, or is this against copyright laws? If not, a link from the "Information Resources for Newbies and Beginning Currency Collectors" on CU might help?

PS. I forgot all about the extra copies and will send them soon.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

You've seen everything I've seen. Personally, I'm not disappointed by the response. I always knew I was focusing on a specialty that was uncommon. That frankly suits me fine. If this specialty was heavily populated there wouldn't be much room for us to make a significant contribution.

- Greg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:44 pm 

I understand the frustration, Bernie. I've got an article in the queue at Paper Money, and it's more specialized than yours. I'm expecting about three responses, total. :)

Seriously, though, I think the CU board is a poor representation of interest. So many people there are interested in value, and not research or necessarily even collecting in general. I personally don't collect proofs, but I appreciate how little is really known about the obsolete era as a whole. People without experience in obsoletes (or to a lesser extent confederates, colonials, etc.) don't realize that the main book -- Haxby, Wolka, whatever -- isn't the final word.

What's needed, obviously, is a community for the researchers to exchange info, resources, comraderie, etc., free from the ravages of 65 vs. 66 arguments. Oh, and ban vcavo right now -- guy annoys the hell out of me. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 pm 

Greg Davis wrote:
Personally, I'm not disappointed by the response.

I thought that you were hoping to engender interest in this board and the project by this article?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am 
Site Admin

I was, and still am hoping to generate interest in the project. I guess the best way to understand how I feel about this is to know that I tend not to allow myself to get mired down by my own expectations.

I have a lot of work to do. If I can get others to help, that means I'll finish faster. If I have to do it alone, it's going to take longer. I'd like to have help, but if I don't get help I can't add the weight of disappointment to the load I've already been carrying.

- Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 pm 

Have you gotten any more feedback?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Yes. You may have noticed that Wendell Wolka and Shawn Hewitt have joined the board. I don't know if there's any relationship to the article, but it's nice to have them aboard. We also have a few other new members that seem to be read-only for the moment.

By the way, I'll be going to the Memphis show this year, and (unless my brain escapes me completely) I plan to pass out a lot of business cards for the web site and try to talk up participation.

At this time, however, I still haven't written any follow-up articles for Paper Money. I keep talking myself out of refining and publishing Unique Impressions.

- Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 pm 

If you are going to Memphis this year, I might come too and exhibit my printing plate evolution study. I'll have to drive (over 1000 miles) since TSA does not seem to allow me to take the plate as caryon.

If you need any help with a "Unique Impressions" article, just ask. Are you going to use some of the slides I made? Do they have to be upgraded? Any new conclusions?

I actually use the All_lots spreadsheet a lot - mainly to determine bidding for auctions. Which of course means that having prices realized would be useful.

Have you found other uses for the All_lots spreadsheet?
How is the conversion to Access going?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

I use All_Lots_DB for the same purpose. Capturing prices realized would add a lot more trouble to the process. As a point of fact, I'd like to have the information too... but I base my bids on rarity more than past performance in the market. Personally, I feel the value of prices realized is short lived, and quickly becomes meaningless. Would you actually care what the closing price was on a 1985 auction? 1990? 1995? All those days are so long gone that value would be meaningless. Besides, capturing prices realized is a completely separate step from capturing auction descriptions. In paper form they are a separate document. In electronic form they are either a) unavailable OR b) tainted by buyer's premium.

The conversion to an access database is pretty straightforward. I've done it a few times. I just never convert over to using the MDB I produce. As soon as the next auction comes along I open up the most recent spreadsheet and update it, making the MDB obsolete. Bad habits die hard.

I could use some help witrh the article... not so much because it's hard to write, but more because I've lost some motivation to write it. It was nice working with you on the article before because you kept me spun up. The downs side of that was that the article I produced wasn't what you had in mind. Now I'm much more relaxed, laid back, and frankly lazy. :)

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:56 pm 

Lets talk some more about another article at Memphis.

I am looking forward to our talk and showing my exhibit.