Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greg's TN back proofs
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 pm 

Greg,

Remember the post on the CU board where you showed the sheet of 3 TN back proofs (see below). At the time I speculated that since they said "new issue" that these might not be proofs of actual notes but "sample proofs."

So I was going through the Heritage auction today and found a note from the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Memphis TN with the back shown below. Strange?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm 

OK Bernie here is the answer.

The Farmers and Merchants Bank of Memphis TN originally operated in Memphis from 1835 to 1847 when it failed and closed its doors. During this time it issued notes dated Jan 2 1843. The bank was revived in 1854 (and also failed again in 1854). They must have had a significant number of either redeemed notes or remainders of the Jan 2 1843 notes. So they had these brown backs printed and applied to these left over Jan 2 1843 notes. That is probably why the backs say "New Issue?"

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Admin

Interesting.

As an aside I have the sheet now, and it is still a sheet (minus the one note). The line between the notes is printed. The paper is thicker than one would expect for proofs... definitely not India paper, as one could deduce from the color.

Bernie, would you have any interest in me bringing this to Memphis along with my other proofs?

- Greg

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 am 

Greg Davis wrote:
... Bernie, would you have any interest in me bringing this to Memphis along with my other proofs?

I think it would be good to bring some proofs to the talk. I would prefer not to circulate them in the audience. However, since this talk is before the lunch hour, we might have some people milling around after the talk to look at proofs. I am thinking of bringing some proofs, vignette plates and transfer rolls since I am driving. Peter had even offered a case for us during the talk?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

A case would be useful. I'd rather they keep their mayonaise soaked fingers off the proofs. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:24 pm 

Greg Davis wrote:
A case would be useful. I'd rather they keep their mayonaise soaked fingers off the proofs. ;)

But the mayonaise comes after the talk at lunch.

How many cases?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:20 am 
Site Admin

I don't know. I'll be bringing about 15 proofs. Haven't given any thought to how they will be displayed. Much will depend on the size and layout of the display cases. Will they be single tier or multi-tier? What are the dimensions?

I should probably be able to to anything in a single case, but I'd need some information about the case in order to make a meaningful display.

- Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 am 

Greg Davis wrote:
I don't know. I'll be bringing about 15 proofs. Haven't given any thought to how they will be displayed. Much will depend on the size and layout of the display cases. Will they be single tier or multi-tier? What are the dimensions?

I should probably be able to to anything in a single case, but I'd need some information about the case in order to make a meaningful display.

- Greg

The cases are about 2 X 3 ft, usually displayed horizontally.

More specifically the insides are 21.5 x 33.5 x 2 inches. The height is approximate. There is usually a lip (hinge, etc) that makes the viewing area smaller by about 3/4 inch on each side, top and bottom.