Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Discovery Notes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:32 pm 

I thought that I would start a thread that shows "discovery notes." These are notes that significantly change the rarity of an obsolete note. For instance, a note (issued or non-Christie proof) of an SENC Haxby variety.

I will start with a note that I got on the floor of Memphis 2010 for $36. Yes, the note has 2 big pieces missing where the signatures were - that's why it probably was so cheap. I suspect that this note was canceled and kept by someone at the Lockport Bank and later came into the collector community.

This note is listed in Haxby as SENC (Surviving Example Not Confirmed), NDA (No Data Available) and with an unknown imprint. Unfortunately, most of the imprint is also cut out. What survives seems to be "... wood & Co." Looking at the imprints in Haxby, this could be either "Draper, Underwood & Co.(DrU)(1828-33)" or "Danforth, Underwood & Co. (DU) (1839-43)" or "Fairman, Draper, Underwood & Co.(FDU) (1823-27)." The issued note is dated Feb 6, 1831. This eliminates DU as the printer since it did not exist in 1831. Haxby indicates that the bank existed from 1829 to the 1830's. This would point to DrU and not FDU as the printer. However, the proofs in Christie's 1990 auction show that the printer was FDU. Thus these notes were probably printed a couple of years before it started operations. Interesting!

Profile Send private message