Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 am 

Has anyone seen obsolete notes from the Mohawk River Bank from Fonda NY? Below is the Haxby section that shows all notes except one listed as SENC. I am particularly interested in the notes that show the "suspension bridge," that is, the $1, 3, 5 and 10 notes. Anyone know which suspension bridge might be shown on these notes. Is it the Niagara Railroad Suspension Bridge that opened in 1855?

The vignette is described as: "3 Indian men standing, two with backs to viewer, suspension bridge, river & trees in right background." This looks like it is a description of the vignette shown on the $2 note seen in Haxby below?

My records show that there were no proofs in the 1990 Christie auction of the ABNC archives. Heritage shows no obsoletes from this bank, which later turned into a national bank.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:49 pm 

Mystery finally solved.

Here is the $2 note (NY-860-4a) from the Mohawk River Bank. It is the only note not listed as SENC in Haxby.

It came up in the 4/2009 Schingoethe Smythe auction (http://www.spinksmythe.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=293++++++261+&refno=30143419&saletype= It was described as: "NY. Fonda. Mohawk River Bank. $2. Feb. 1, 1860. (NY-860 G4a). Haxby Plate Note. Red TWO. Three Indians at riverbank. Oval male portrait. Balch, Gavit. F. Estimate $ 300-400." It realized $3360 - ten times its estimate and about 30 times Haxby 1988 value.
Attachment:
NY-860-G4a_f_MohawkBridge_MM.jpg
NY-860-G4a_f_MohawkBridge_MM.jpg [ 239.86 KiB | Viewed 2746 times ]

Some more research, and I found this post card:
Attachment:
NY-860-G4a_f_MohawkBridge_PC.jpg
NY-860-G4a_f_MohawkBridge_PC.jpg [ 89.19 KiB | Viewed 2749 times ]

They look pretty close. The bridge was erected in 1852-3 across the Mohawk River and connected Fort Hunter and Tribes Hill. It was not torn down until 1935. I also read that it was "build after a model of that over the Niagara river." Given the dates, this means that is was built after potentially either the Ellet or the Roebling suspension bridge over the Niagara River. Some more research is needed.

Profile Send private message