Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:38 pm 

It's been over a month since the last post. Where is everyone?

Below I show the cheapest obsolete proof that I ever bought. It started at $1 and I got it for 7+14=$21 from Heritage a couple of weeks ago.

It is NY-435-UNL (Haxby would have numbered it as G2, that is, G2a without an overprint). Christie's 1990 auction had about 52 (13 sheets times 4) of these, so not uncommon although only about 5 have shown up at auction in the last 20 years according to the All_lots.xls.

Besides a 25c Philadelphia Savings Bank proof, it is also the cheapest in the 10 years of the HA archives.

P.S. Greg, Christie's catalog and your All_lots.xls show 52 of these. However, the Obsolete's spreadsheet only shows 20? There should be an easier way to correct mistakes in the spreadsheets. I have found many.

Attachments:
NY-1710_UNL-G2_f+b1_LM.jpg
NY-1710_UNL-G2_f+b1_LM.jpg [ 97.67 KiB | Viewed 4415 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

I have no idea (without checking my invoices) which of my proofs was least expensive. I'll try to remember to look this evening.

Regarding the older versions of the spreadsheets, I haven't made any real effort to keep them updated as I moved on to newer iterations. The only one I'm still actively working is All_Lots_DB. If you want to take over any of the older ones and make changes, please feel free to do so. I do occasionally refer to them, so it would be nice to have correct information in them.

- Greg

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 am 
Site Admin

I checked and found no easy way to sort through all my invoices and make a quick determination of which was my cheapest proof. The invoices don't call out which ones were proofs at all, so I'd have to go through a lengthy process of sorting through the notes and trying to find the invoice that matches. I should do that eventually... but not right away. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 am 

Greg Davis wrote:
I checked and found no easy way to sort through all my invoices and make a quick determination of which was my cheapest proof. The invoices don't call out which ones were proofs at all, so I'd have to go through a lengthy process of sorting through the notes and trying to find the invoice that matches. I should do that eventually... but not right away. ;)

I don't believe this. Here you are creating spreadsheets/databases with over 200,000 entries; however, you don't have one for your purchases? What would the tax man say? :D or :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Tax man? I fear the tax man FAR less than I fear an angry wife who knows how much I spent! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I finally did the work of aggreagting the information about the notes I bought. The short answer to your question is there are two proof notes I bought from the Stack's 52 collection sale that I got for $50 apiece. Both are written denomination notes fron New York.

- Greg