Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 pm 

There were 5 sheets of Michigan proofs in the October 2010 Knight auction.

http://new.lynknight.com/ListItems.Asp?itemType=auction&mode=search&Category_Id=4092&CSID=210

Today 16 individual notes from 4 of the sheets are available at:

http://coins.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=proof&_sacat=3412&_ssn=phildelia&_odkw=&_osacat=3412&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I was able to rescue one sheet at a reasonable price, probably because of the repairs. I just loved the denominations.

So what are people's thoughts on cutting up sheets? I suppose one could argue that proof sheet collectors are hoarders and that it is better for more collectors to own a copy of some of these rare proofs.

By the way, these sheets that sold at Knight's auction are not in the All_lots spreadsheet.

Attachments:
EN4181.jpg
EN4181.jpg [ 180.22 KiB | Viewed 3235 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I despair at seeing the sheets separated into individual notes. However, I confess that once I had an opportunity to buy a sheet of Bank of Knoxville notes, knowing that if I missed the chance they would almost certainly be cut up and sold individually. I bid the most I could at the time ($3500), which was ultimately half what the sheet went for. I was saddened, knowing my last chance to own a sheet of those notes had likely come and gone.

If I had a flip side argument at all, it would simply be that if the sheets had not been cut up it is unlikely I would have any notes in my collection now. Cold comfort, but the truth is that by cutting up the sheets the market for obsolete proofs is expended enough to include someone of limited means like me.

- Greg

Profile Send private message