Broken Bank Notes Message Board

Forum for Obsolete Currency Discussions
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Progress proofs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 pm 

OK, this board has been dead far too long. So let me post a couple of progress proofs that I picked up cheap on eBay.

They were obviously both intended for a bank in Massachusetts between about 1833 and 1835 given the DUB&S imprint. I might actually know a little bit more about these, but was wondering if anyone else knows anything about them.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Progress proofs
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Wow. Who knew you could buy anything cool on eBay??? :)

Been about a long time since I even looked on eBay.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 am 

So no other replies?
So I will show some of the utility of Greg's spreadsheets.

The above 2 notes probably came from Christie lots 694 and 1560 which were described as:

694: MA. Boston. Oriental Bank. $5-$5-$10-$20. A sheet of partially finished proofs, DUB&S, denominations and vignettes for notes which were never issued, an ink notation on the second note reads "Oriental Bank Boston," a vignette has been removed from the left side of the Twenty Dollar note, a few small missing pieces, slight aging and staining, mounted. $150-250

1560: Boston. Oriental Bank. $1-$2-$3-$5. A sheet of unfinished notes DUB&S, staining, wrinkling, corner abrasions, other minor imperfections, all mounted.

Greg's All_Lots spreadsheet shows that none of these notes seem to have crossed the auction block since the 1990 Christie's sale until the $3 and $5 proofs that I recently obtained on eBay.

Note that it probably is the condition description, especially the ink notation/staining, that might link the notes to the Oriental Bank of Boston (MA-330) since the bank name does not seem to be engraved on the notes themselves. It would sure be nice to have an image of the second note ($5) of the 5-5-1-20 sheet that has the "Oriental Bank Boston" ink notation.

Thus as these 8 progress proofs are dispersed throughout the collecting community, their origin might become unknown. Greg's spreadsheets (or a study of the auction catalogs) can help keep such information alive.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Bernie.

For what it's worth, I'm now updating the spreadsheet with the Lyn Knight auctions for Memphis. God how I HATE his auction listings, mostly devoid of anything resembling useful data.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Admin

I bought one of the two Government Stock Bank (MI-40) proof notes at the recently concluded Tuesday auction on Heritage. Yes, it's a damaged note, but it seems to be very rare, though it has shown up several times in auctions... and it is graded. ;)

For what it's worth, the graded service lived down to my lowest expectations. There's no attribution information,and despite the missing chunk it was given an Apparent 64.